Thursday, February 3, 2011

237

Snippet from a conversation with a friend and colleague in the hall today.
Sarah: So have you started the book yet? (This has been a fairly constant question for me this week.)

Me: No, not yet. Hopefully today!

Sarah: What is it you're reading again?

Me: Finnegan's Wake.

Sarah: Oh, right. I read your email about that.

Me: (showing the book) Yeah. Apparently, the book is circular, and the first half sentence is actually the second half of the sentence that ends the book. So the theory is that you could pick up the book anywhere and start from there.

Sarah: So where are you starting from?

Me: I'll probably just start from the beginning.

Sarah: Boring!

Me: Well, I guess that's fair.

Sarah: You should start on page 237. Find out if it's really true.

Me: Hmm. Good idea.
So I guess that's where I'm starting....

No comments: