Thursday, February 3, 2011

towooerds him in heliolatry...

Well.

Getting started on page 237. I can't believe I'm doing this. Just in case you haven't read the book, let me type out the opening paragraph on page 237 so you will get a sense of what I'm up against.
thing feminite, towooerds him in heliolatry, so they may catchup in their calyzettes, alls they go troping, those parryshoots from his muscalone pistil, for he can eyespy through them, to their selfcolours, nevertheleast their tissue peepers, (meaning Mullabury mesh, the time of appling flowers, a guarded figure of speech, a variety of perfume, a bridawl, seamist inso one), as leichtly as see saw (O my goodmiss! O my greatmess! O my prizelestly preshoes!) while, dewyfully as dimb dumbelles, all alisten to his elixir. Lovelyt!
That's what greets me at the top of page 237.

In a sort of a panic, I turned to page 1, just out of curiosity, to see what a devastating mistake I made. However, I ended up quite reassured since page 1 is no more comprehensible.
ruverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.
Sir Tristram, violer d'amores, fr'over the short sea, had passencore rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy isthmus of Europe Minor to weilderfight his pensiolate war: nor had topsawyer's rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse to Laurens County's gorgios whole they went doublin their mumper all the time: nor avoic from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to tauftauf thuartpeatrick: not yet, though venissoon after, had a kikdscad buttended a bland old isaac: not yet, though all's fair in vanessy, were sosie sesthers wroth with twone nathandjoe. Rot a peck of pa's malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by arclight and rory end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface.
The fall (bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonn-thunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk!) of a once wallstraight oldparr is retaled early in bed and later on life down through all christian minstresly.
So at least on a surface level, I'm not any worse off on page 237.

But oddly enough, as I typed out the selections, they made more sense to me, on a sort of non-sense level. Or should I say on a sensory level, as opposed to intellectual. Something started to click. I can't name what it is yet, but it felt like something I could follow. I think reading it aloud will help, and from what I've read before, I think I shouldn't struggle too hard to understand the plot. I have a feeling the story will emerge on its own, and that really it's about sounds and images and the playfulness of the language. Like the difference between learning about biology in a class or just splashing around in a mud puddle. Sure, it may be difficult to figure out exactly what's going on, but it's still fun to splash around, and the education there is perhaps less linear, but no less profound. If this actually is non-linear but still something I can experience, I'll be mightily impressed!

I'm barely into Round 1 and already reeling from the punches, but the sounds and the colors are kind of pretty!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I read the first page of the book and then started to analyze it. I quickly realized that doing that was like a dog chasing its tail. You never get anywhere. The more you try to analyze it the more tired and confuse you get. So I tried the opposite approach: just read, don't think. It's like looking at something out of the corner of your eye and seeing it clearly but when you try to look directly at it, it disappears.